[okfn-discuss] Open University

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Wed Dec 5 11:50:08 UTC 2012

Chris,

For one: Everything that is publicly funded should return to the public -
so one argument is to publish research OpenAccess. As OpenAccess will get
more popular they can save millions on journal fees.

The other: Use it to drive advertising for your good teachers/researchers.
Also starting podcasts with people talking about their work can be useful.
Helps to get the word out and people in. This results in more/better
students and improved output of the University as a whole. If they charge
tuition: Profits.

And ad openly licensing: this makes IP regulations even simpler.

Michael