[okfn-discuss] New crowdfunding system in the works exclusively for Free/Libre/Open resources

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 23:28:31 UTC 2012

I also agree this seems really interesting. I haven't seen the site yet so
only comment briefly. I have run several zero-or-near-zero-cash open
projects over the last two decades - some work out - others don't. There
are cases where an injection of cash (and perhaps as important the implied
commitment of donors) would be valuable  - others where the cash
involvement may detract from the in-kind aspect. One important aspect could
be the ability to "market" the results of the project. Also getting
enlightened commercial organizations to buy into Open is often very useful.

In general I have observed that while *software* projects with ICT goals
often work very well with pure volunteers, those outside are often much
harder to start and keep going.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust