[okfn-discuss] Hosting of open data for science

Thomas Kluyver thomas.kluyver at cantab.net
Wed Dec 12 15:23:39 UTC 2012

On 12 December 2012 12:25, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org>wrote:

> I am trying to host a 160Mb dataset on a password-free site. It's a
> scientific dataset (namely fMRI data from a classic experiment) that we
> want to host to be able to give people open source software reproducing
> the publication.
>
> I am somewhat unsure what the best option is for this hosting. I am not
> too excited at the idea of relying on my institution's servers, because I
> find that it is hard to garantee the future of the data, as people
> (including me) move on. Any suggestions?

You could provide consistency at the level of a PURL (
http://purl.org/docs/index.html ). Then you can later move the dataset to
different hosting, update the PURL redirect, and it will keep working for
users. The purl.org resolver has apparently been running since 1995, so it
seems like a safer bet than any one file host.

Thomas