[okfn-discuss] Creative Commons NonCommercial and NoDerivatives Discussion

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:46:42 UTC 2012

The essence here is a really awful mistake: blaming CC license for people
who infringe. This is completely unrelated. If someone is infringing on
your copyright by not following your terms, that has nothing to do with CC.
Even the idea of cost and hassle of enforcement has nothing to do with CC.
If someone sells your work without giving you attribution, without
crediting you, then they are violating CC-BY or CC-BY-SA or CC-BY-NC or ALL
RIGHTS RESERVED. Complaining about someone violating your terms, you might
as well say that "all rights reserved" is a bad license because someone can
illegally violate it and sell your work without your permission.

So the entire discussion has nothing to do with people who violate
copyright.

I agree about the idea that you want to share with others who also share.
That's exactly what "share-alike" means, and that's the license I prefer.
That's that. NC is irrelevant to this issue.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf