[okfn-discuss] Creative Commons NonCommercial and NoDerivativesDiscussion

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Wed Dec 19 20:30:24 UTC 2012

Andrew is correct. There has been talk over the years of potentially
expanding the reach of the SA condition in CC-BY-SA to make
requirement of collections, but it isn't in any existing versions, and
looks like it isn't going to happen in 4.0, see
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/ShareAlike (if I had my way, it'd
be expanded, slightly, but ah well).

Of course it'd depend on how the images are used whether the enclosing
context constitutes an adaptation. I wouldn't expect to get far
arguing that if the images are merely placed alongside text. Consider
that a large proportion of images used in Wikipedia (under CC-BY-SA)
would have been incompatible with the text, previously under FDL, had
that been the case. Of course many image licensees aren't in
compliance with notice and attribution conditions, so there may be
room to agitate anyway if you wish. But IANAL, etc.

Mike