[okfn-discuss] IRC logs

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Wed Feb 15 19:17:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 18:59, Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:
> For what its worth, the absence of public logging does not guarantee
> privacy

Sorry, this is a misunderstanding that keeps coming up (discussing
this topic on IRC .. how meta). Of course it doesn't, and I'm not even
hinting at a suggestion that it does. I'm merely observing that in the
absence of public logging this information is not *easily* accessible
-- to a Google search, say.

If we were to stop publishing a public log of IRC channels, we're not
in *any way* making assurances of privacy to users.

-N