[okfn-discuss] IRC logs

Nils Toedtmann nils.toedtmann at okfn.org
Wed Feb 15 23:49:50 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 11:24 PM, David Raznick wrote:
> I checked out the terms and conditions on freenode and it seemed like
> it was not a problem.

http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml says:

  <quote>If you're publishing logs on an ongoing basis, your channel
topic should reflect that fact. Be sure to provide a way for users to
make comments without logging, and get permission from the channel
owners before you start. </quote>

> Having a name like okfn_logger, I thought, would make this clear enough.

Hmmm, that's like hidden smallprint. There are often 40+ clients on
#okfn, i have to scroll down to find okfn_logger

> Personally I consider everything on irc public, but I can understand
> that it can cause concerns.
>
> I have done the following to alleviate some of them
>
> * Stopped showing hostname on connection
> * Added a robots.txt to disallow all bots.

Brilliant, thanks!

> * If you do okfn_logger: help, it now shows you where the log files are.
> * We will most likely archive old logs as well.
>
> I do not think making the logs private (i.e just for the okfn) is fair
> or in the spirit of open knowledge.

Let's strip the hostnames from the old logs too, and reflect the fact
that the channels are logged in their topics. Maybe something like

  "Find the logs for this channel at http://irclogs.okfn.org"

/nils.

--
See http://nils.toedtmann.net/ for contact details.