[okfn-discuss] [okfn-help] Medellin digital

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Feb 21 10:04:13 UTC 2012

On 20 February 2012 22:54, Fabio Barone <holon.earth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi List(s)
>
> and sorry for crossposting.
>
> My partner, Ana Isabel Palacios, is since two weeks in charge for the
> "Medellin Digital" program of the Medellin municipality in Colombia.
>
> http://www.medellindigital.gov.co
>
> The new strategy 2013-2020 of the program includes
> "Open Government - Open Data", and they state an aim
> of being 100% open data.
>
> The program is truly fantastic, and there are a lot of committed people
> involved,
> which trumps the political talk.
>
> I have been following okfn and open data quite a while, without having been
> involved really.
> I participated at OKCON last year in Berlin.
>
> I have a running assignment, but I would love to assist the program, maybe
> consulting
> about Open Data.
>
> I would like to kindly ask you for support, this is a true bottom up
> project,
> starting from scratch. And there is budget available.
>
> 1.) Which resources would you recommend for study? I'll start with the Open
> Manual
> 2.) Are there already some best-practices, especially concerning processes?

See the Handbook (we can add more!)

> 3.) How to go about assisting the program: where to start, etc.
> 4.) Is CKAN the only available free/open implementation, or are there
> alternatives?

I assume you mean of an open data portal / hub / catalog (there are
lots of free/open implementations of software in general ;-)). I'm not
absolutely certain that CKAN is the only one because I'm not
absolutely certain what is out there but I would certainly say it is
the most developed, with the largest community and greatest number of
users (I note that one can often create a simple catalog relatively
easily in any piece of software from a wiki to Django to Wordpress or
Drupal -- in fact there's where we started with CKAN 5y ago ;-) ).

> 5.) How to budget (items and amount of) an open data project?

That's hard to answer without knowing what you want to do. In general,
you can do a lot without spending very much money at all.

Rufus

> 6.) Add whatever you see of relevance.
>
> I can also see OKFN to be involved directly if you wish so, in any way a
> cooperation might be envisioned.
> Certainly a local chapter could be one of the possibilities.
>
> Ana is exceedingly committed, motivated and open. She is the perfect person
> for the job
> but she needs assistance for the implementation, as her background is in
> design.
>
> Any contribution to this conversation is highly welcomed.
> Excuse me if in any form I misused the list or if my request
> is in any way offensive, misplaced or badly formulated,
> but there's some excitement over here :)
>
> Thank you!
> Best wishes
> fabio

Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation