[okfn-discuss] Most "open" way of registering a domain/get a hosting?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Jan 4 18:39:34 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> Another good choice for hosting of services but not necessarily
> registration would be http://www.koumbit.org/ -- they are a worker's
> cooperative, long time and staunch supporters of free software, have
> their own hardware, their own IP addresses, etc.. Morally and
> ethically they would be a good fit for "open" things.

Koumbit looks very interesting, perhaps most likely of any mentioned
to be http://opendefinition.org/software-service/ (OSSD) compliant,
though I don't see anything specific about source.

I mostly post just to bring up the OSSD, which seems apropos, given it
is hosted by OKF and this is an OKF list ... AFAIK OSSD-compliant
hosting/registrar/other "infrastructure" services are few if any. I
hope to be wrong. Or is OSSD compliance perceived to be irrelevant?

Mike