[okfn-discuss] Bulletin update

Laura Newman laura.newman at okfn.org
Mon Jan 23 17:36:00 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Another bulletin update of news at the OKFN! We have just taken the
decision to make these updates *fortnightly *rather than weekly*, *so look
out for the next one on February 6th!

*Events*
* *Public Domain Day*, Paris, Thursday 26th January:
http://journeedudomainepublic.fr/events/journee-du-domaine-public-2012/
* *Open Economics Hackathon*, Saturday 28th January, in London and online:
http://www.meetup.com/OpenKnowledgeFoundation/London-GB/583892/
* #*OpenDataLDN* meet-up, Monday 30th January. 75 people already registered
to attend. Lightening talks about Open Economics, Interactive Design,
Transport and the Public Archives. Check out
http://www.meetup.com/OpenKnowledgeFoundation/London-GB/472892/.
* *Open Economics data party*, 'City Data', Wednesday 1st February.

*Notices*
* Applications for *Panton Fellowships* are now open! For scientists who
promote open data. More details at
http://pantonprinciples.org/panton-fellowships/. Spread the word!
* Space for *one more lightening talk *at the #OpenDataLDN meet-up. Contact
Kat if you're interested!
* Final proof-read of the *Open Data Manual *- get involved by adding to
the etherpad: http://okfnpad.org/opendatamanual-proofread.

*Further Project Updates:

Open Economics*
* Velichka will be giving a Lightning Talk at the OpenDataLND meet-up about
the Open Economics Working Group - a call for contributions, cooperation
and participation from a new working group focused on working with open
economic data and social science

*OpenBiblio
** The OpenBiblio sprint last week was very productive. Lots of output code
hacking for BibServicer, interaction with CKAN and Open Philosophy etc.
* Check out Peter Murray-Rust's blog!
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2012/01/22/bibsoup-a-new-open-approach-to-managing-personal-and-group-bibliographies/

*Open Data Manual *
* Logo selected for the new ODM,
http://jwyg.okfn.org/2011/06/07/new-logo-for-open-data-manual/
* Get involved with editing version 1.0! See the etherpad:
http://okfnpad.org/opendatamanual-proofread

*OpenGLAM*
* Exciting week for OpenGLAM in Berlin.
* Meeting of the 'Arbeitsgroup kulturelles Erbe', to include the
'Staatliche Museen Berlin', which owns the collection of almost every big
institute in Berlin (Pergamon, Neues, Altes enz..)
* Meeting with Jan Engelman from Wikimedia DE
*
OpenSpending*
* Working on implementing [Collections](http://wdmmg.okfnpad.org/collections).

* Prototyping the Compar-o-tron [Mockup 1](
http://www.flickr.com/photos/okfn/4623584907/), [Mockup 2](
http://www.flickr.com/photos/okfn/4624190848/).
* Continuing work on Embeddable widgets for Spending Stories.
* Planning upcoming work in Feb/March
* WorldBank/KODI ddj course

*NASA and Space Apps challenge*
* Some of us talked to them last week regarding an upcoming project. We may
do something with them in relation to open data for space apps - watch this
space for a call for different projects to get involved!

Let me know if you have any news to include in the next bulletin, which
will come out on *February 6th!

*Have a great week!

Laura

--