[okfn-discuss] Problems of nomenclature

David Hirst david at davidhirst.com
Sat Mar 3 20:37:27 UTC 2012

I prefer the term public copyright licences, as it does add meaning - public - whereas to take meaning from just copyright licences needs an understanding of where copyright comes from and what it means. Too much baggage.
Earlier Chris Sakkas suggested a "category of some rights reserved works called 'common content'", but to me this did not ring well. To me 'commons' content makes more sense.
In the UK, there is common land, which usually refer to land that is collectively owned, but this often means highly fragmented and distributed rights to a range of defined uses of it. Very complex. But commons is more aligned, in my mind, with creative commons, a simpler legal regime.
But I am not a lawyer.
David
David Hirst