[okfn-discuss] Problems of nomenclature

Kim Tucker kctucker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 11:24:04 UTC 2012

Hi Mike (and all),

Just to be clear: I did not intend to imply "open source" to mean
"mere source availability" - but that they share that characteristic
(among others).

The "libre" vs "open" debate is a matter of perspective: ethics vs
pragmatics. "Libre" is also distinct from "free" in the gratis sense.

Thanks all for this discussion (it matters)

Kim

PS In terms of striving for a free culture I believe the libre
perspective as portrayed in http://wikieducator.org/Say_Libre has an
important role. Like most people, I continually strive for freedom.
Overcoming the challenges and managing trade-offs is on-going.