[okfn-discuss] Draft of 'Libre' Wikipedia page

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Mon Mar 5 23:00:14 UTC 2012

On 05/03/12 09:37, Chris Sakkas wrote:

> But meanwhile I was inspired to return to a Wikipedia article I drafted
> last year: 'Libre'. I think libre warrants a separate article (It's
> currently at 'Gratis versus Libre'), and you can read what I've written
> so far at my sandbox page
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sanglorian/sandbox)
>
> Feel free to contribute, either by editing my sandbox directly or by
> discussing the article on this mailing list.

The article is very clearly written and well sourced.

I agree that the term "intellectual property" should be avoided.

Concepts that have been identified as potentially including non-free
works in this discussion (such as OA/OER/Open Content) should not be
included as sub-categories or types of Libre, which I would argue is
used specifically within discussion of Free Software as a synonym for
OSD-Free.

NC/ND are not proprietary, they are non-free because they do not fit the
common definitions of "Free" or "Open" (FSD/DFSG/OSD/Freedom
Defined/Open Definition). Within the terms of reference of this
discussion they are non-libre public licenses.

These comments aside I recognize the article's description of Libre from
my knoweldge of it, and the article has some very interesting references
of which I was previously not aware.

- Rob.