[okfn-discuss] Problems of nomenclature

Kim Tucker kctucker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:43:33 UTC 2012

Hi Peter(s) and all,

To reiterate, in this context (free/libre software, knowledge,
culture, education, ...) "libre" _is_ well defined and well understood
in many relevant circles to mean free as in freedom with a precise
meaning (links in the PS below).

Looking at Peter Suber's writings in 2008, he seems to be describing
his own personal choices for terminology in his own writing. I don't
know how pervasively that terminology has been adopted in the OA
community as a whole, and hope that the accepted meaning of "libre" in
the links below may be adopted by the Open Access community.

One problem I see is that he did not separate the issues of freedom
and price - defining "libre" to include "gratis":

"I've decided to use the term "gratis OA" for the removal of price
barriers alone and "libre OA" for the removal of price and at least
some permission barriers."

Source: http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/08-02-08.htm#gratis-libre

Peter Suber's use of "libre OA" is really "gratis AND libre OA" with
libre ill-defined ("removal of price and at least some permission
barriers").

(imo) The various categories of OA journals (etc.) may be described
sufficiently with the following:

* libre - freedom to access, use, copy, adapt, share, ... <likely also
gratis but not necessarily>

* non-libre - restricted in one or more ways (e.g. NC, ND, edu, ...)

* gratis - access is free of charge <assume it is non-libre unless
otherwise stated/known>

* priced - <assume it is non-libre unless otherwise stated/known>

* libre and gratis <libre resources are usually gratis, but not by definition)

* libre and priced <the price is probably low, optional, or includes
additional services>

The assumptions, "<assume ...>" above, are precautionary wrt
contemporary copyright law:
http://wikieducator.org/Brief_History_of_Copyright

The term "non-libre" is not likely to come up very often as it is only
required to describe the general case (one or more freedom denied). If
a journal is non-libre, the conversants (I guess) would usually
describe it as "non-commercial use only" or "educational use only"
(etc.) and not actually say it is "non-libre". Another word for
non-libre is "proprietary".

(imo) "Libre Open Access" should mean (or be replaced with) "Libre
Access": access with the freedoms associated with libre knowledge and
culture. PLoS for example is a libre access journal (articles licensed
CC-BY), whereas The Open Education Journal is non-libre (CC-BY-NC) -
http://www.benthamscience.com/open/toeduj/MSandI.htm

Kim

BC Peter Suber to offer the option to join the list and the discussion
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-discuss/2012-March/thread.html
without "reply-alls" arriving if he declines.

PS Libre _is_ well defined (in case you missed these)

Free Software == Libre Software:

The following are rooted in the free/libre software definition:

Free Knowledge == Libre Knowledge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre_knowledge
http://wikieducator.org/Declaration_on_libre_knowledge#Libre_Knowledge_Definition

Free Cultural Works == Libre Cultural Works:
http://freedomdefined.org/Libre

To satisfy those on either side of the ethics/pragmatics debate in the
free/open software world(s) the term FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source
Software) has been used with "libre" being used to disambiguate "free"
(i.e. libre not gratis):

http://flossproject.org/
http://www.flosspols.org/
http://flossworld.org/