[okfn-discuss] Draft of 'Libre' Wikipedia page

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 15:38:25 UTC 2012

*Using or Avoiding ‘Intellectual Property’*

> There is no need to avoid the term intellectual property. To avoid a
> commonly understood term is to introduce ambiguity. Even if you feel that
> IP should not exist, or should be severely altered, you are doing readers a
> disservice by avoiding it. (Tim)

The reason for avoiding the term "intellectual property" is because the
> term is so broad, and covers so many different forms of law, that it can
> become meaningless and so becomes a purely propaganda term, usually by
> oppressors.
>
> The laws that libre is concerned with are copyright laws, and so not
> patent law, nor trademark law, nor design rights law. (David Hirst)

Tim, I think you’re right that it’s not productive to talk about IP without
saying its name. I’ll use IP when I need to refer to the category as a
whole, but avoid it if it’s at all possible to refer to copyright,
trademark, patent or design law in the specific. After all, we also do our
readers a disservice by using general terms where specific ones will do.

David, I’m not sure that it’s so clear cut. Presumably a libre licence will
deal with copyright only (although couldn’t one that deals with *sui
generis *database rights also be considered libre?), but a libre work has a
number of requirements beyond simply being under a libre licence and I
think if it were encumbered by – say – a patent that would make the
resource non-libre.
Cheers,

*Chris Sakkas
**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki <http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the