[okfn-discuss] Shell Oil Spills in Niger Delta

Nigel Babu nigel.babu at okfn.org
Fri Nov 2 13:46:14 UTC 2012

Hi folks:

Shell has released data about oil spills experienced by the company in
the Niger Delta (Nigeria). This is released monthly on their
website[1] and features a table of the events, as well as PDF
documents photographing the incident as well as the original written
report by the Shell manager responsible.

Shell has responded to a freedom of information request and added the
scanned reports of each incident to the tabular report. We are working
on mapping out these oil spills and we'd love some help.  There are
about 350 reports to be transcribed and mapped.  I've imported all the
data into PyBossa[2], our crowd-sourcing platform, and if you'd like
to help, see the link below!

If you have questions or comments, please feel free to get in touch with me.

[1] http://www.shell.com.ng/home/content/nga/environment_society/environment_tpkg/oil_spills/monthly_data.html
[2] http://pybossa.com/app/shelltranscription

Nigel Babu
Developer, Open Knowledge Foundation