[okfn-discuss] An interesting question about open data for local government.

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:46:24 UTC 2012

On Oct 10, 2012, at 7:47 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:

> Isn't the correct answer "specifying any particular formats or
> specifications is a recipe for having an obsolete bill within years or
> months"?

Not necessarily. As I noted on the Quora page, formats come and go, and there is no doubt better and more suitable formats will be invented in the future. More important than specifying the format is to insist that whatever format is used, it should be free, open and well documented, and if it requires any tools to use it optimally, the tools should also be free, open and well documented.