[okfn-discuss] An interesting question about open data for local government.

Daniel Schuman dschuman at sunlightfoundation.com
Wed Oct 10 18:18:00 UTC 2012

I would suggest these 10 open data principles as a good starting point:
http://sunlightfoundation.com/policy/documents/ten-open-data-principles/

In October 2007, 30 open government advocates met in Sebastopol, California
to discuss how government could open up electronically-stored government
data for public use. Up until that point, the federal and state governments
had made some data available to the public, usually inconsistently and
incompletely, which had whetted the advocates' appetites for more and
better data. The conference, led by Carl Malamud and Tim O'Reilly and
funded by a grant from the Sunlight Foundation, resulted in eight
principles that, if implemented, would empower the public's use of
government-held data.

We have updated and expanded upon the Sebastopol list and identified ten
principles that provide a lens to evaluate the extent to which government
data is open and accessible to the public. The list is not exhaustive, and
each principle exists along a continuum of openness. The principles are
completeness, primacy, timeliness, ease of physical and electronic access,
machine readability, non-discrimination, use of commonly owned standards,
licensing, permanence and usage costs.

(follow the link for more detail
http://sunlightfoundation.com/policy/documents/ten-open-data-principles/0
Daniel