[okfn-discuss] OKFN & Environment Data

James Smith james at floppy.org.uk
Fri Oct 12 11:18:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Friday, 12 October 2012 at 11:55, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> Great - what work has Clean Web done in specifically related to CO2 data? Do you have any links? I initially thought that CW was mainly focused on greening the web and digital stuff (cleantech+cloud, sustainability+social media, as it says in mission statement) - and didn't realise it was so interested in scientific data sharing policies, and reusing/developing (what may be pretty esoteric data/code).

It's a very general community group, really. We're mostly about getting developers using the web to fight environmental problems, but obviously having good open data available is a big enabler, so it's definitely an area we're interested in. I'm not sure yet how active a role it will take in actually making *things* rather than *communities*, but it can certainly handle the community and event side of things.
> Yes - perhaps as a start AMEE could create packages for the openly licensed datasets they have on TheDataHub and we could all blog about these?

I can't speak for AMEE (any more), but this is unlikely to come from within the company. Adoption of the data by external organisations interested in openness is the only way it's likely to happen at this point, unfortunately.
> We're also expecting a guest blog post on the provision of CO2 data from international institutions by someone at the World Bank - in response to Hans's call.

Oh, that's good. Looking forward to that.
> > I think the main thing for the moment is getting the ball rolling on some of these different activities. Ultimately it might make sense to do this as a coalition of organisations and initiatives who share an interest in opening up and reusing CO2 data.

I think that's probably the most likely way forward - there are many organisations that could do bits of the effort. I guess the core question is whether there is enough interest within OKFN to get working on some bits of it. If it's just us, then it'll stall pretty quickly given our other hats.

Anyone else interested at all?

cheers,
James