[okfn-discuss] New post Open Data, Technology and Government 2.0 – What Should We, And Should We Not, Expect

Jilly Mathews jilly.mathews at okfn.org
Fri Sep 14 13:02:47 UTC 2012

This is in line with comments I have had from some tof the Open Scotland
Group. Facillitating the release of the data has been what we have recently
been about. However it may take the next 20 years to get people to use it
and know how to use it. As you are awre,there have been more and more moves
to release data sets espcially where the project in question has been
publicly funded. This is still on the increase.

I believe the following things.

1. How the systems the data in on are formatted and the data strutured is
crucial for its reuseability.

2. Releasing the data in the first instance has unknown consequences. The
real value added is in the interpretation of that data and services related
to that. Possibly linked data and more simple data wrangling. We could
revloutionise research methods in some diciplines espcially cultural ones.

3. That we should aim to educate all world wide web users that open data is
a normal part of life and how to data wrangle using these data sets should
be part of main stream education. In the same way that microsoft once said
that they were going to put a PC on everyone's desk.

4. The one line marketing industry already shamelessly use all the data
they can get their hands on to sell us stuff using open source tools,
linked data facilities, all sorts. We could imitate this more and show more
often what we can do with what we already have.

Jilly