[okfn-discuss] Alpha ODI Open Data Certificates: comments please!

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 07:42:10 UTC 2013

This looks a very useful approach.

It is critical that data is labelled by an independent organization like
ODI. because there are initiatives to reduce the scope of openness
(certainly in "open Access"). For example some publishers are setting up
(data) publication systems where there can be a  price differential between
CC-BY and CC-NC - the latter would not earn any TBL stars, let alone 5.
Universities have almost completely failed to show any interest in
labelling their published data but I think research funders would welcome
an ODI stamp.

As a small provider of Open Data I understand the technical difficulties of
making a dynamic data set completely available ("dump") and in some cases
we may have to have a best-endeavour. The biosciences do very well in
making their dynamic data available but they also get considerable funding
to do it. I think stamps in that area would be very valuable

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Jeni Tennison <jeni at theodi.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some of you will already be aware that at ODI we're working on a tool for
> giving people "Open Data Certificates", designed to help publishers
> understand what good open data looks like, including covering
>
>   * legal issues (licensing, ownership and privacy)
>   * practical issues (findability, accuracy, quality and guarantees)
>   * technical issues (locations, formats and trust)
>   * social issues (documentation, support and services)
>
> There's a "vision" here:
>
>   https://github.com/theodi/open-data-certificate/wiki/Vision
>
> an alpha version of the questionnaire on line at:
>
>   http://theodi.github.io/open-data-certificate/certificate.html
>
> and some more explanatory text here:
>
>   http://theodi.github.io/open-data-certificate/
>
> The point of the alpha version is to get input on whether the questions
> are the right ones and whether the pilot/standard/exemplar is pitched
> correctly. There's a bunch of stuff that *isn't* done, in particular to do
> with UX & back-end support. We'll be putting that in place over the next
> couple of months.
>
> I'm really interested in any comments that this group have. The github
> project is here:
>
>   https://github.com/theodi/open-data-certificate
>
> If you can add issues through github, or even do pull requests, that would
> be great, but of course we can also discuss on this mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeni
> --
> Jeni Tennison, Technical Director   theODI.org
> +44 (0) 7974 420 482                @JeniT

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry