[okfn-discuss] Alpha ODI Open Data Certificates: comments please!

Jeni Tennison jeni at theodi.org
Mon Apr 8 09:23:23 UTC 2013

What I really want to do here is use OKFN's open licensing database from:

  http://licenses.opendefinition.org/

to provide the list of possible licences. This is managed by OKFN, and the judgements over which licenses are open is carried out by the Open Definition Advisory Council here:

  http://opendefinition.org/advisory-council/

I've forked the repo with the intention of adding some additional fields like 'requires_attribution' and 'requires_share_alike' which would help customise some of the rest of the questionnaire.

The one problem at the moment with this approach at the moment is that the UK's Open Government Licence has been assessed as non-open, which is of course an issue for UK government data... I'm hoping that this will be resolved one way or another over the next few months.

Jeni

On 8 Apr 2013, at 09:55, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Pieter Colpaert <pieter.colpaert at okfn.org> wrote:
>

> Concerning the license option: you can now select "other" and then indicate whether it is an "open" license. This is shifting the problem towards the question "is this really an open license"? As a solution, I believe ODI should also keep a list of licenses for data that are really open. Organisations world-wide should be able to get the label "open license" from ODI and only these licenses should appear in the list.
>
> I completely agree.
>
> I see ODI (in this discussion) as playing a similar role to OSI for F/OSS. If that's a fair analogy then let's go for it.
>
> P.
>

> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics
> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
> University of Cambridge
> CB2 1EW, UK
> +44-1223-763069

Jeni Tennison, Technical Director   theODI.org
+44 (0) 7974 420 482                @JeniT