[okfn-discuss] why data and process in academic publishing matters

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Mon Apr 22 15:26:50 UTC 2013

Tony/Velichka

Thanks for your thoughtful comments and thanks to Velichka for the
informative blog post.  I was not even aware that AEA had a policy on open
data.

Tony:  I think you would have to admit that the implication of your argument
is that no empirical economics study actually impacts policy.  Surely, if
the Reinhart/Rogoff study didn't, which other less influential studies did?
If everyone has an unalterable a priori position and just cherry picks data
from studies to support their preconceived notions, then it is hard to see
the value of conducting empirical research.  The fact is you may be right,
but I hope you are wrong (since that means that a lot of us are wasting our
time collecting and analyzing economic data).  It would be interesting to
see some experimental research on this question.

Velichka:  My point is that if researchers get "slapped down" for releasing
their data when it contains mistakes, they will be more reluctant to do so
in the future.  After all, even economists respond to incentives.  With
respect to your post, I agree with your view that they should have publicly
released the data.  I may have added kudos to R&R for releasing their
original data set (from "This Time Is Different") which was most helpful to
me in my own research.

Cheers,

Marc