[okfn-discuss] Forget Big Data, Small Data is the Real Revolution

Jose Leal admin at wikidomo.com
Mon Apr 22 17:11:36 UTC 2013

I left this comment on Rufus's great blog post, thought I'd share it here
too:

I would agree that the whole "Big Data" meme is yet another bubble. Not too
dissimilar to those of social media, cloud etc. Not to say that they are
not relevant, but they are just an evolution of the digital space.

People have always wanted to connect and share, so in that sense social
media is simply a digital fulfillment of that human need. The cloud is also
an evolution to hosted solutions. Again, not much new there. It's been a
long time since most of us have hosted our own websites, or email servers
etc. Those trends will continue, but they will not revolutionize how our
world works.

You're right, Small Data is the future. I think "Small, Open and Linked
Data" (SOLD) that is the future! But, where as the others are incremental
evolution of the digital space, SOLD is what has the potential to change
our society. Distribute creation, access, updating, linking, and most
importantly control.

Let's learn to value small, not big. Let's learn to value open, not
proprietary. Let's learn to value connected, not silos. I'm SOLD ;-)

Jose Leal

wikiDOMO.com

Open Marketplace

Open Address