[okfn-discuss] The role of open licensing in large collaborative projects?

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Mon Apr 29 16:57:41 UTC 2013

Hi Jonathan

>From the scientific research angle several publications on large scale
collaborations I've seen come from open source drug discovery. Todd Vision
and Hilmar Lapp have a nice presentation on why collaboration might be an
emergent property of using open licensing in science
http://www.slideshare.net/hlapp/open-science-opensource-and-open-data-collaboration-as-an-emergent-property
.

The below address licensing at least in part:

Bhardwaj, A. et al., 2011. Open source drug discovery--a new paradigm of
collaborative research in tuberculosis drug development. *Tuberculosis
(Edinburgh, Scotland)*, 91(5), pp.479–86. doi: 10.1016/j.tube.2011.06.004.

Masum, H. & Schroeder, K., 2011. Platforms for Global Health and
Development : Two Case Studies. *ITID*, 7(1), pp.61–69.
http://itidjournal.org/itid/article/view/697

González, A.G., 2006. OPEN SCIENCE: OPEN SOURCE LICENSES IN SCIENTIFIC
RESEARCH. *NORTH CAROLINA JOURNAL OF LAW & TECHNOLOGY*, 7(2), pp.321–366.

Woelfle, M., Olliaro, P. & Todd, M.H., 2011. Open science is a research
accelerator. *Nature chemistry*, 3(10), pp.745–8.

Schweik, C., Evans, T. & Grove, J.M., 2005. Open Source and Open Content: a
Framework for Global Collaboration in Social-Ecological Research. *Ecology
and Society*, 10(1).

A lot of papers on pre-competitive, open innovation models for drug
discovery research look at open licensing among other factors. A relevant
report is:

http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Extending-the-Spectrum-of-Precompetitive-Collaboration-in-Oncology-Research.aspx

Note: Some of the above do not use OKD-compliant licenses.

Jenny