[okfn-discuss] [open-science] Annotating Open Images with licence and authorship to prevent copyfraud

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 7 09:54:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Rafael Pezzi <rafael.pezzi at ufrgs.br> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I understand the problem, but also don't like watermarks. It will be
> annoying to see the same watermark in all pictures and images of a paper, a
> book or a website. In my view this would compromise the visual appeal of
> open-licensed works.

My primary intention was to stamp scientific (STEM) images - graphs, maps,
photographs of scientific/medical objects etc. Here I believe the clarity
of the science is much more important than visual appeal. Provenance and
attribution are important and usually omitted.

Submission a work that you do not have copyright, i.e. a free licensed
> work, although much easier, is as bad as intentionally removing a
> watermark.

I'm not proposing that I stamp free licensed work with *my* authorship but
that it should be stamped as free licensed work. Again, my primary target
is science, though I can see the value for cultural works.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics