[okfn-discuss] Introducing the Open Economics Principles

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Wed Aug 7 11:34:08 UTC 2013

Dear all,

The Open Economics Working Group would like to
introduce<http://openeconomics.net/2013/08/07/introducing-the-open-economics-principles/>the
Open
Economics Principles <http://openeconomics.net/principles/>, a Statement on
Openness of Economic Data and Code. A year and a half ago the Open
Economics project
began<http://blog.okfn.org/2012/02/23/alfred-p-sloan-foundation-funds-open-economics-working-group-at-the-open-knowledge-foundation/>with
a mission of becoming central point of reference and support for those
interested in open economic data. In the process of identifying examples
and ongoing barriers for opening up data and code for the economics
profession, we saw the need to present a statement on the guiding
principles of transparency and accountability in economics that would
enable replication and scholarly debate as well as access to knowledge as a
public good.

We wrote the Statement on the Open Economics Principles during our
First<http://openeconomics.net/events/workshop-dec-2012/>and
Second <http://openeconomics.net/events/workshop-june-2013/> Open Economics
International Workshops, receiving feedback from our Advisory
Panel<http://openeconomics.net/about/advisory-panel/>and community
with the aim to emphasise the importance of having open
access to data and code by default and address some of the issues around
the roles of researchers, journal editors, funders and information
professionals.

Please, endorse the Principles! We appreciate your participation and
support.
http://openeconomics.net/principles/

*

Velichka Dimitrova