[okfn-discuss] [open-science] Annotating Open Images with licence and authorship to prevent copyfraud

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 7 12:12:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Chris Sakkas <sanglorian at gmail.com> wrote:

> The original, unwatermarked images could also be archived elsewhere.

My archetypal use is that someone creates or re-uses an image for scholarly
publication. Many of the images will be directly created by the author
(e.g. with Excel, R, etc.) They are not in an archive.

They send the images as part of the publication and often, by default
transfer copyright to the publishers. They are then no longer
  freely available. My suggestion is that if authors mark their images
before sending them, the publisher will be forced to either challenge this
or accept that these images are Open.

Visual marking is a simple way of alerting people to which images are open
and to the issue in general. For those without tools it could be useful to
provide a simple immediate service where people could get their images
marked.

Remember that it often costs around 100 USD to re-use images from a
publisher for teaching or reviews even when the original author has no
intention of adding to the publishers' revenue and assets.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics