[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 05:59:35 UTC 2013

Congratulations on superb work so far!!

This is a valuable resource and needs to be published on a wiki somewhere
reliable. What should happen, I think, is FOSsil Bank needs to move to a
fully FLO platform and then include this glossary.

Otherwise, Snowdrift.coop would love to host this on our wiki (we are very
close to functional enough and having legal terms and things to invite more
widespread participation). Wherever it is, we will reference it for sure!
The broad scope of FLO outlined here matches precisely our scope.

A few minor points:

The Stallman quote of a spider plant "goes" to another place is found in
his biography, but that's really a poor wording and I heard him elsewhere
describe the analogy. The word is "grows" and was probably misquoted.
Spider plants don't "go" places, they "grow" i.e. it should be "it grows in
other places" etc.

This phrase:
"The term ‘share-alike’ is broader than copyleft: it includes copyleft, but
also non-FLO licences that require adaptations to be released under the
same licence as the original."

I do not think that is accurate at all. Copyleft and share-alike mean
essentially the same thing. It just happens that CC used the term
share-alike and not all CC licenses are FLO whereas copyleft is generally
used for Free Software which is FLO. But it is simply not descriptive of
real usage to say that people use these terms to mean different things.
They are identical, it's just that there's no context in which people
happen to describe copyleft non-FLO. But if there is a non-FLO license that
requires keeping the license, it will STILL be called "copyleft". Copyleft
does not itself mean FLO.

The Tim O'Reilly post is missing. I'd like to read it though.

Please add the greatest IP backronym: "Imaginary Property" which is not
especially harsh but is especially accurate.

Given that it is so confusing, is it not the case that "Open source
journalism:" could refer to actual open source, as in the source material
is available?

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com