[okfn-discuss] Post on the unitedstates project and open collaboration

Eric Mill eric at sunlightfoundation.com
Thu Aug 22 17:31:05 UTC 2013

Oh, wow - I'm sorry I missed Rufus' post back in July, because it describes
my life these days. :)

The point about using line-oriented data is also a good one. The main
downside of CSV is that it doesn't nest, and tabular data isn't always the
best fit for data, even small data.

We've been using YAML in a
couple<https://github.com/unitedstates/congress-legislators>of
projects <https://github.com/unitedstates/contact-congress> to get the same
effect with nested data, YAML is a *lot* like JSON, but with cleaner syntax
and syntactically significant whitespace. There are downsides to it too,
like larger file size, slower and less advanced parsers, less community
awareness of the format, etc. But it melds well with version control for
all the same line-by-line reasons CSV does.

-- Eric