[okfn-discuss] Greek root for knowledge?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 5 01:19:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin at ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Sophia is "wisdom" but also "sophists" were those that in contrast to
> "philosophers" who loved wisdom, simply pretended to be able to possess it
> and teach it. Thus, super-sophisticity could be misinterpreted. You may
> want to look at "noesis", which is similar to "mental acts" or
> "dianoeisis". Supernoesis?
>
> This discussion possible needs to fork - although what we decide to do may
determine the correct word. Perhaps going back to the greek is too capable
of misinterpretation.

So I need a word to describe how Open Knowledge under the current OKD
works. We can then decide whether it's a good thing or not - I believe it
is and you don't. Fine.

 I had a suggestion from a friend of mine that we use:
"okapicity" where the OK stands for Open Knowledge a la OKD.
This extends to "superokapicity" . It's easy to pronounce, a true neologism
, and doesn't mislead. The "p" is there for alliteration (my friend is
modest).

So lets' use okapicity for the inifintely fast spread of unrestricted
knowledge.We can then discuss your ideas in a separate thread.