[okfn-discuss] Greek root for knowledge?

Harry Halpin hhalpin at ibiblio.org
Tue Feb 5 08:54:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at gmail.com> wrote:

> "I don't want some random multi-national to use my photos in an
> advertising campaign without my permission."
>
> I don't want to get this off track, but this is one of the main misguided
> ideas of NC-advocates. It would be WONDERFUL if some multi-national you
> don't like used your CC-BY-SA photos. There is no better way for you to
> have access and le.gal ability to do whatever you like with their ad! You
> could criticize it and get much more press for "the photographer from that
> ad disapproves of this business!" than for "some random person disapproves
> of this business".

No. I don't want the ad to exist in the first place. I don't want some
multi-national to make *any* money, and I don't want money made from the
ad. Period. I don't care about press or attempting to commercialize my
personal photos.

> Seriously, the SA is the copyleft part and it is more than adequate here.
> Exxon doesn't want to license their ads with CC-BY-SA. They aren't going to
> use your SA photos anyway. It would be wonderful if they did because it
> would give you more power, but they won't. Instead, they'll make just as
> good an ad with someone else's photo. You choosing NC does absolutely
> nothing to stop them and their ads.

Any smart company such as Google realizes its a better business model to
make people do work for free to access supposedly free content than to
actually pay them (traditional businesses)
or attempt to make them pay for access (so-called "creative industries")

> On the other hand, if you choose NC, you DO stop ME from doing completely
> non-commercial work where I make creative educational videos using
> Wikimedia content and other photos. I would like to use your photos maybe.
> The NC license stops me even though I'm not doing *anything* commercial. In
> other words, what you intend from the license is not working; the NC
> license is failing to achieve what you want. It doesn't stop anything you
> want to stop and it only hurts people you don't want to hurt. And it is a
> perfect example of the sort of restriction that seems benign but actually
> destroys the not-yet-named thing that Peter is talking about.

Again, wrong. I have the right to tell even non-commercial educational
video makers to not use my data. Have  you read the WEF report "Personal
Data as a New Asset Class"? Do you understand what "asset" means?

> Here's my popular non-commercial video:
> http://blog.wolftune.com/2011/07/brain-parts-song-video.html
> Is it good that I had to skip all sorts of nice photos when making this?
> NC was not helpful, it made my project harder. I am grateful for all the
> people who realized the value of sticking to just CC-BY or CC-BY-SA,
> otherwise this project would not have been possible.
>
> What I'm trying to get at is this: don't just defend a license because you
> like the intent. Licenses aren't just about intention. A well-intended
> license can be effectively failing, and that's the case with NC. It matters
> not that NC *sounds* like what feels right to you, it matters that it
> doesn't do what you want. The fact that we also might disagree about
> commercial uses and whether they are ok or not is a side issue.

I was using NC as an example. Perhaps legally it needs better wording to
define NC. However, you are missing my main point, which is the "open data
rhetoric with no restrictions" is seriously misguided. The point is the
communities who produce data should be able to both offer access and
restrict the data as they see fit according to their ethical principles.
So, academic articles funded my public money should be available to the
public free of charge. My personal photos should not end up in either an
advertisement or educational video without my permission. And in both
cases, I think payment could be considered reasonable to say the least.

Unless you enjoy working for free. There used to be a word for working for
free for someone else's profit - "slavery" :) And until all consumer
products become free of charge, it seems rather politically and
economically naive  to demand all data be open and free to re-use while the
rest of the non-digital world isn't.

Respectfully,