[okfn-discuss] OKFN instance of IPython Notebook?

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri Feb 8 22:36:22 UTC 2013

Everton Zanella Alvarenga wrote:

> I am watching a presentation [1] about IPython Notebook and my brother
> (a developer) have just shown to me some demos with this tool. Please,
> see more info bellow
>
> [1] https://vimeo.com/53051817
>
> http://blog.fperez.org/2012/01/ipython-notebook-historical.html
>
> http://www.randalolson.com/2012/05/12/a-short-demo-on-how-to-use-ipython-notebook-as-a-research-notebook
>
> I decided to send this e-mail in the middle of the presentation when I
> realised a suggestion I gave to the local group could be easily
> implemented using this.
>
> Wouldn't be great to have an OKFN instance of IPython Notebook? That
> could even foster collaboration among OKFNers and local chapters, I
> think.

In fact, there is service named Wakari, http://wakari.io targeted at big data users that might do exactly what you want and more. It's been developped by Continuum Analytics, http://continuum.io, and is in private beta now, but I got this statement today from Continuum's Dave Kammeyer, saying:

"Yeah, they can use a Wakari instance.  It's in beta right now, but if they want accounts, have them sign up at wakari.io, and I will make sure that they get approved for the beta immediately.  We're definitely happy to have folks like this use Wakari for free."

I haven't used this myself, yet, but I guess, I will, since this is extremely promising, because you get quite a bit more than an IPython Notebook, as described in this blog entry: http://continuum.io/blog/introducing-wakari.

Regards,

Dinu