[okfn-discuss] Wikipedia as SaaS by the OSSD?

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Tue Jan 8 08:08:02 UTC 2013

Hi Mike,

Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com> writes:

> Ok. BTW, I just updated
> http://opendefinition.org/software-service/#applying-the-definition-some-examples
> based on your edits at http://opendefinition.okfnpad.org/ossd-examples
> ... thanks and further from all welcome.

Thanks for this!

>>> But even where a site is only a software service to a reader in a
>>> facile way, might be a software service to a writer. Consider
>>> wordpress.com.
>>
>> Yes, I get this point.
>
> FWIW, I think it's a pretty important one: it highlights the
> dependence of speech on services run by third parties, and also why
> Wikipedia still might be interesting as a service. How is it unlike
> wordpress.com except that authoring is collaborative? (Obviously in
> many ways, but with respect to performing computation for users, ie
> being a software service.)

Note that authoring can be collaborative too on wordpress.com.

Yes, this is an important distinction, one that makes everyone (so
perhaps RMS too?) realize that network services are at the core of
the web... because they serve networking tasks like publication and
collaboration.  (I know, turning in circles a bit.)

> That would be interesting a) data to have and b) explanation of
> various dimensions relevant to user freedom/openness on knowledge
> services not directly under user control. I imagine something like
> this could supplement the OSSD, or even replace it if consensus
> develops that it is confusing rather than enlightening as it stands.
> Maybe in an alternative better universe this kind of data would have
> been gathered prior to any definition creation. :)

Indeed!  And I welcome any effort in implementing a basic form to
get this basic knowledge on what the server does -- I'll ping the
guys from Kune so see if they are interested in doing this, but
any volunteer can beat me to it freely.

Thanks again for the feedback,

--
 Bastien