[okfn-discuss] Licensing question from the Open Science Training Initiative pilot

Andrew Gray andrew at generalist.org.uk
Wed Jan 16 16:48:11 UTC 2013

On 16 January 2013 11:18,  <sophie.kershaw at keble.oxon.org> wrote:

> The student in question has developed a series of his own routines in Matlab and has drawn them together in a GUI, which he has also designed. He wanted to take a screenshot of this GUI and put it into his report. However, he wasn't sure how this should be licensed. If parts of the Mathworks Matlab interface are visible as part of his screenshot, would this preclude him putting say, a CC-BY license on the resulting image?

Wikimedia's advice on interpreting CC for screenshots is pretty
strict, but would seem to suggest "you can't":

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Screenshots

On the other hand, if it's trivial elements of the interface, rather
than a screenshot of the whole program, I wouldn't worry too much!

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk