[okfn-discuss] Introducing the new OKFN Task Force

Joris Pekel joris.pekel at okfn.org
Fri Jan 18 10:15:51 UTC 2013

Dear all,

First of all, I wanted to thank you all for all you have done in 2012. It
was truly amazing to see how the community has developed. The OKFN now has
more local groups than ever, we have started several new projects, had tons
of nice discussions and lots of cool tools were created. This really was
not possible without you, the people, so a big thank you!

Work being done by volunteers has always been core to what we do at the
OKFN. We would never have gotten here without all of your help! However, it
has not always been easy to find out where a lot of hands can generate
great success. A mailman discussion list such as this is great, but not
ideal for creating a backlog with the various amounts of things where you
can help with.

Also, there has been some confusion between 'community' and 'volunteers'.
The community is basically all of you active on mailing lists, in working
groups and local chapters.

Volunteers is a much smaller, but indispensable amazing group of people who
dedicate a small part of their time helping with things like translating
documents, hacking on tools, adding data to OpenSpending and helping create
School Of Data courses.

To solve both issues I have started gathering all projects that could use
some help and added them to a Google Group. Here you can find everything in
a comprehensive way and respond immediately if you see something that
interests you. You can find the group here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/okfn-task-force

Please become* a member* to stay updated about everything going on. A short
summary of what is listed now

- Help reviewing a School of Data course
- Help improving the Open Definition (in lots of different ways!)
- Contribute code to Crowdcrafting
- Open Data Handbook Builder
- Contribute or explore data in OpenSpending
- Complete and refine the failed banks data for visualisation

Looking very much forward to your contributions! If you have any questions
at the moment, feel free to ask.

Thanks again for your great effort, and looking forward to seeing what will
happen in 2013!

All the best,

--
Joris Pekel