[okfn-discuss] How to honor Aaron Swartz

Stian Håklev shaklev at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:32:54 UTC 2013

Are Wikiversity used for summaries? I have never seen Wikimedia Foundation
projects used for summaries and that was the reason I started my own wiki -
Brede Wiki <http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/**>.

> I think it would be a good idea if there was a WMF CC BY-SA site for
> summaries and research data, especially now since we are getting Wikidata
> that could store structured research data.

Hi Finn, thanks for sharing your wiki, I've added it here:
http://reganmian.net/wiki/individual_academic_wikis. I love to see
knowledge collections exposed online, however I think we need a better
infrastructure to interlink these... I think AcaWiki is a great idea, and I
know some of the people behind it, but I take detailed notes on a lot of
papers (http://reganmian.net/wiki/bib:bibliography), and I don't want to
duplicate my work by also cross-posting these to AcaWiki... Or something
more specialized like this site hosting abstracts of wiki-research:
http://wikipapers.referata.com/wiki/List_of_journal_articles... I have
notes on several papers about wikis in my database, but if I go to enter it
on the site above, I get presented with a huge form having to input the
bibliography manually (even though I have it in bibtex format)...

There's a lot of this kind of fragmentation, I wrote earlier about my
finding more than 40 different edutech wikis, and thinking about how they
could work together - at least I made a custom Google search:
http://reganmian.net/wiki/Edutech%20Wikis

In a way, I think that's one negative consequence of having Wikipedia and
related projects grow so large - we'be come a bit complacent when it comes
to linking different wikis together (unless they're part of the wikimedia
family)... I think initially, the idea was for tons of different wikis to
exist, and you have the concept of wikilinks (which initially were not just
designed for wikimedia-family projects, etc). I don't want all of our
individual wikis to merge, because there's a real value to having your own
space (in my case, the main wiki is offline on my computer, always
accessible, and what you have access to is only an online mirror)...
However, I would love to make it much more accessible and interlinked...
And because my wiki is partially automated, I can easily publish
bibliography metadata (I already put the bibtex on article pages), and I
would love to see more standards for sharing other kinds of microdata,
harvesters, indices, etc...

I'd be much more working on this, than trying to build the one true
repository of knowledge, where everyone has to submit their article
abstracts, etc...

Stian
--
http://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters