[okfn-discuss] Help make a comparison of open access journals on Wikipedia

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 23:49:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Michael Bauer <michael.bauer at okfn.org>wrote:

> Kyra,
>
> How would you classify pubmed central? They are open access (often single
> articles of opt in etc.) And licensing seems really unclear.

Yes it is.  (I'm on the advisory board of EuropePMC - Tim Hubbard is chair).

It's in part because many publishers are in continual "negotiation" with
NIH about what can(not) be published on PMC and what can/not be done with
it. Some publishers allow material to be displayed but not re-used. There
is a limit on downloads from PMC, etc. The "Open Acccess Subset" is not
defined as CC-BY but material that is openly visible and "OA" in some
sense. (Much of this comes from the fuzzy language used by OA leaders such
as "removal of *some* restrictions". I have challenged this frequently.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry