[okfn-discuss] How important is the right to publish open data?

Gene Shackman eval_gene at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 6 23:16:21 UTC 2013

I agree with Rob. There should be a clear indication from the start. But question: What about US Govt data, that appears, at first glance, to be "open".

"A United States government work is prepared by an officer or employee of the United States government as part of that person's official duties. It is not subject to copyright in the United States and there are no copyright restrictions on reproduction, derivative works, distribution, performance, or display of the work."

but then later, it says

"Copyright laws differ internationally. While a U.S. government work is not protectable under U.S. copyright laws, the work may be protected under the copyright laws of other jurisdictions when used in these jurisdictions. The U.S. government may assert copyright outside of the United States for U.S. government works."

http://www.usa.gov/copyright.shtml

Is this data open? Open only when used in the US? Not open because it may not be open everywhere?

Gene