[okfn-discuss] [FC-d"iscuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:58:34 UTC 2013

Stef, you just posted on the Open Knowledge Foundation list a claim that
"Open" is specifically a suppression of ethics in favor of business aims. I
am sorry but that is nonsense. The OKFN clearly is not using "open" that
way. The historical fact that the term "open source" had connection to
rejecting the FSF's ethical aims does not mean that everyone who uses
"open" is aligning themselves with that view.

Once "open" became common, people who *do* care about ethics have often
used it. You can't go around telling people what they mean. Note also that
"open" has been used for over a century if not much longer in ways that
were meant to imply democratic justice a la the cooperative movement and
elsewhere.

"Open" does not emphasize freedom the way "free" does, but neither does it
inherently reject that. It's perfectly valid to discuss the unfortunate
history of "open source" as trying to downplay the ethics, but it is NOT
valid to imply that anyone who today uses "open" is connected to that
history.

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com