[okfn-discuss] [FC-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 15:33:11 UTC 2013

Actually, given the Open Definition, I'd disagree.  Open is a term that
really can be defined, and as such I also think it's a strong candidate for
universal usage.

http://opendefinition.org/

We should also look at precedent in the term Open Source in computer
science.

Unless Libre predates it, I don't think the utility and universality of
Open will be displaced any time soon (or should be.)

All mere opinion,

- Heath (OKFn us/tx)

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013, Rob Myers wrote:

> On 10/07/13 14:53, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of standardizing with the Spanish, however, can we get
>> the OKFN to become the LKFN and the FSF to become the LSF or SLF? As
>> much as libre/gratis are clearly the winning words for clarity, we are
>> dealing with a reality in which people often see "free" and "open" in
>> these contexts, so we have to simply deal with it. I think FLO,
>> free/libre/open, is the best solution as it makes people recognize that
>> there is confusion. I think the goal right now should be to get the
>> world to wonder whenever they see "free" or "open" and ask themselves,
>> "well, is it libre?" or "is it FLO?" And this will only happen if we do
>> acknowledge all of these terms as being related to the same central
>> libre concept.
>>

> FLOSS used to be Free/Libre/Open Source Software. The cultural equivalent
> would presumably be FLOC. :-)
>
> "Free" only has to be explained once. "Open" really can't be explained....
>
> - Rob.

Heath Rezabek
Outreach & Collaborations Coordinator, Starship Congress
USA (512) 507-1101
hrezabek at icarusinterstellar.org
@starshipcongrss
 <https://twitter.com/StarshipCongrss>starshipcongress.com