[okfn-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 06:09:32 UTC 2013

What I'm saying is simple. The Free Software camp will *never* accept
"open" as they don't feel it acknowledges freedom as the issue.

They note that "open" can be used to focus on practical issues but ignore
ethics. Agreement on "open" is not going to happen. But the Free Software
camp is perfectly happy with the term "libre". The only people who object
to "libre" would be those actively sabotaging the ethics. The main issue is
that it is a foreign word. The majority of Free Software folks will accept
anything that includes unambiguously the emphasis on freedom. So FLO will
be acceptable to most of them, as will "libre". They will not accept
"open". That's just the case. And the rest of the world won't go with
"free" because it is confusing regarding gratis.

So yes, you can forget about getting consensus in the community regarding
free vs open. But that doesn't mean we can't find near-consensus with a
third option.

--
Aaron Wolf
wolftune.com