[okfn-discuss] A Free, Libre and Open Glossary

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 15:37:11 UTC 2013

Nobody else has pointed this out, so let me clarify:

To many of us, FLO means Free a la FSF (free-as-in-freedom), Libre
(unambigious), Open a la OKFN. Thus, gratis (free of charge) is not
addressed at all. Works may or may not be gratis. Of course, because
sharing is unrestricted and digital works are non-rivalrous, the market
forces quickly reduce the price to zero usually as a single willing sharer
can go and make any FLO work gratis for everyone else.

However, because FLO is redundant, there are surely people who see the
Libre/Open part as specifying the freedoms and therefore assume that "Free"
is tacked on to emphasize gratis. This interpretation says: "It's not JUST
open, it's also FREE of charge!"

My feeling, and an aim of my organization Snowdrift.coop, is to recognize
that gratis distribution is positive as well because it encourages access
and widespread distribution. We also aim specifically to help provide a
living to workers on FLO projects. We reject the short-sighted assumption
that the goal of making a living is necessarily connected with charging for
initial access. Charging for access hurts a free society limiting access to
wealthier people and also by reducing the chances of someone giving a try
of something they are doubtful about. That is why we are developing an
alternative model to get workers a functional living, because the value of
a livable salary shouldn't be ignored either.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf