[okfn-discuss] Jaron Lanier on the pitfalls of free (as in beer at the least) information

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Wed Jul 17 08:33:40 UTC 2013

I recently read his book: Who owns the Future

He has some good thoughts in there - we live in a world with tremendous
concentration of data and information on a few spots. However, the idea of
Open Data is (at least to me) one that can diminish the information
imbalance: but we need to do more.

To decrease the information imbalance (IMO) we need to do several things:
* Strong privacy protection - to ensure you'r private data is not used
* Work on decentralization - get data stored at home (think
  freedombox/unhosted.org)
* Open Data/Freedom of Information - Get data out of
  Administration/Companies etc.
* Work to use the available Data for the public good - and train citizens
  how to do it themselves (aka schoolofdata)

While this might not be a perfect solution for the problems he adresses -
it is one I personally am more comfortable with. (Of course this is open
for discussion).

Michael

ps.: this is my personal view and does not speak for the OKF.