[okfn-discuss] Minutes of Open Knowledge Foundation board meeting May 2013 posted

Marc Joffe marc at publicsectorcredit.org
Sun Jul 21 19:51:45 UTC 2013

First, I think it is great that OKFn is soliciting community feedback on
the strategy slides.

I agree with Abbas and others that the slides would be better if they
provided more specifics. While a strategy can't be expected to include fine
details, it would be nice to see a list of key initiatives with 1-2
sentence descriptions.

I would also like to share a thought about what those initiatives to be.
It seems that OKFn is in the "business" of encouraging people to create
public goods - databases and web sites that can be consumed for free
without restriction. Because there is no direct profit to be derived from
them, it is hard for non-governmental organizations to deliver them
sustainably and with quality. OKFn can help its community by sharply
reducing the difficulty and cost of delivering open data solutions.

Given limited resources, I suggest OKFn select a small number of target
areas. Within each area, OKFn should develop open source software, funding
sources and leaders who can stand up sustainable operations.  It would be
great if we could have 2-3 new Wikipedia-like organizations maintaining
quality, complete data sets over the long term.

I want to stress the importance of quality, completeness and sustainabilty
(or consistency).  If we can't create knowledge resources that the public
can rely on, they won't gain traction.  A lot of volunteer efforts I have
seen are well intentioned, but too often they result in incomplete,
orphaned solutions that don't create real social value.

Regards,
Marc Joffe
Public Sector Credit Solutions
http://www.publicsectorcredit.org