[okfn-discuss] Open Knowledge Foundation Strategy slides

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Mon Jul 22 09:45:19 UTC 2013

Dear Peter,

I really appreciate what you are saying, and I agree that with regards to
many of the data/content processing tools you describe there is a lot of
benefit to such a systematic approach. But I think its a huge error to mix
up stand-alone software and software as a service in how the open movement
must approach them.

Your email reflects the assumption that F/OSS is not winning is because
there isn't the right software. In some cases, that may be true. But the
bigger concern now seems to be that we really don't know how to make F/OSS
as a service. The reason that LibreOffice is such a horrible alternative to
suggest to GD/O365 is not that it doesn't have nice icons - it's that it is
a piece of desktop software that attempts to compete with a set of
integrated services. It has lost the ball, and we look silly suggesting
otherwise.

The fact that services like Google Docs, Facebook, Skype etc. are operated
in a centralized mode gives them a number of benefits that we can't just
ignore. This begins with simple network effects - all your friends are
using them, so you should, too - but it also extends into technical and
economic benefits (imagine the CKAN team never had to spend an hour helping
to update client instances or that your setup of VIM/Emacs was available on
any computer you touch), and many opportunities for improvement based on
behavioral data-mining that decentralized systems just don't support. We
all love decentralization and autonomy for a variety of political, economic
and technical reasons, but we can't let that blind us to the fact that
there are just as many things it can't do (often that's what we like about
it).

OKFN (and especially Rufus) is not naive about this, that's one of the
things I like best about it. KForge, the DataHub, OpenSpending, etc. are
all examples of open services. With OpenSpending, we've been trying to
combine SaaS and F/OSS, following a model where many satellite sites use a
commonly operated resource. I wouldn't say we have a good recipe, though.
We don't really have a good sustainability model for any of this,
governance is WIP and decentralizing the actual code development has been
tough. ScraperWiki is another good example: I really enjoy the service and
admire the folks doing it, but its latest incarnation is impossible to
distinguish from any other commercial start-up like Heroku.

So, please, can we focus on open services rather than F/OSS? The world
around us has moved on. I wish Cory Doctorow all the best on his "general
computation" campaign, but chances are that we also have to prepare
ourselves for a world in which we can't even install software on many of
our devices.

As for great ways to decentralize open services, I'm really open to
whatever ideas there are. Let's not try to use political arguments to
defuse the fact that most of the current approaches suck, though, and that
it is a matter of economics and usability that open protocols are now eaten
up at a monthly basis (RSS, XMPP, soon SMTP).

Cheers,

 - Friedrich