[okfn-discuss] [OKFN-Local-Coord] Which e-mail service or mail transfer agent are you using/do you recommend?

heath rezabek heath.rezabek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 19:59:23 UTC 2013

For hosting services, which includes the ability to set up and control your
own mailserver (or any other service you can install as well as some
quick-setup options), I recommend Dreamhost with highest recommendations.
 I have been a happy user of their services for nearly a decade, and their
capacity and reliability seems only to have grown.

You can choose to have a private google mailserver set up for your domains
or to install your own mailserver, and control the databases, etc.
 Unlimited storage and bandwidth is standard.

My own referral link is http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?23489 -- but I
certainly wouldn't be referring folks to Dreamhost if I didn't believe in
them and use them.

I share your general distrust of Google over the long term, and having my
own home base for server projects has been tremendous.  Good luck,

- Heath

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <
everton.alvarenga at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in a PRISM times [1], I would like to know what e-mail service or mail
> transfer agent (MTA) do you recommend. Definitely it is tempting to
> use Google products because of its quality, but I am not sure if it is
> the best option facing the actual situation of Internet.
>
> I'm using Zoho Mail <https://www.zoho.com/mail/> for the domain
> cienciaaberta.net, our local working group on open science, since we
> won't have many users and it was for pragmatical purposes, but I began
> to wonder what to use with our local group domain, okfn.org.br, which
> we just bought.
>
> Regarding MTA, I've tried to use Exim in an Amazon EC2 server (one
> year of free hosting), but it was blocked by Amazon after a few
> e-mails and I don't have time to discover the reason. I have also some
> experience in using Postfix (following recipes only), which worked
> fine, but to be honest, I am not sure if it is worth spend my time
> managing a mail server.
>
> That said, any suggestion on what to use? Hosting, services, MTA?
> Should I worry about privacy issues here or it is too paranoid?
> (Although I don't think I have anything to hide, I dislike the idea of
> third parties having access to my e-mails/)
>
> P. S. if you know of some mailing list better to ask this, please, let me
> know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
>
> It seems EU and some European countries are included in the
> surveillance
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/30/nsa-leaks-us-bugging-european-allies
>
> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
> http://br.okfn.org

Heath Rezabek
Outreach & Collaborations Coordinator, Starship Congress
USA (512) 507-1101
hrezabek at icarusinterstellar.org
@starshipcongrss
 <https://twitter.com/StarshipCongrss>starshipcongress.com