[okfn-discuss] Keeping DRM out of HTML5

Harry Halpin hhalpin at ibiblio.org
Fri Mar 22 16:13:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:

> This is a way of getting multiple incompatible DRM implementations hooked
> into what is meant to be a free and open standard.
>
> I'd rather it was cooked up well away from the open web. That would be
> good.

So, you'd rather have Google and Microsoft cook this up and then just put
it in your browser without any oversight? Then, de facto, its part of the
Web and helps the close the Web down.

Possibly not a good idea.

In the W3C, people can at least object and there's a well-understood
process. And I would object as a person, as I imagine many others would.