[okfn-discuss] about open access but not open access

martin biehl odmartin at gmx.de
Sat May 4 21:24:22 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,

first post, so go easy on me...

The question I want to reiterate is whether proponents of open access
should publish in non-open access ways like the book linked to by the OP.

IN the end I think what matters is that open access becomes as widespread
as possible (if you like open access that is, but we all do here, don't we)
now if non-open access publications reach people that are not reached by
open access ones, it could be detrimental to the goal to not use these
distribution channels. On the other hand the open access channels need as
much support as possible and publishing through non-open access ones might
hurt them. So it does not seem to be clear cut to me. Or am I to dense to
see the light?

Cheers!

martin