[okfn-discuss] Indication of case studies: regulatory regimes through transparency

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:01:54 UTC 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 18:57:37 +0100
> From: Izabela Correa <I.M.Correa at lse.ac.uk>
> Subject: [okfn-discuss] Indication of case studies: regulatory regimes
>         through transparency
> To: Open Knowledge Foundation discussion list
>         <okfn-discuss at lists.okfn.org>
>

> Dear colleagues
>
> My name is Izabela and I am a MRes/PhD Student at the LSE working on the
> evolution and effectiveness of regulatory systems through transparency,
> i.e. the disclosure of information with the purpose of helping regulators
> achieve their purposes (e.g. improve the quality of public schools through
> the disclosure of information that promote competition; improve the
> consumption of fruits and vegetables by requesting that companies disclose
> information on nutrition of products; disclosure of financial information
> by banks with the purpose of informing investors about risks; so on).
>
> In other words, I am talking about regulations that oblige the disclosure
> of data/information as a mechanism to allow users to make choices (e.g.
> parents deciding in which school to enrol their kids; consumers deciding to
> buy healthier products; investors investing in funds with higher levels of
> governance). I would like to ask your kind help in indicating any case
> studies you know that have been conducted in this direction.
>
> I am also looking for studies on the impact of open data and structured
> information on consumers' choice. ANY suggestion in this direction is more
> than welcome.
>
> Best,
> Izabela.

> communications disclaimer: http://lse.ac.uk/emailDisclaimer
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-discuss/attachments/20130507/b0e614ef/attachment-0001.htm
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:22:25 -0700
> From: "Marc Joffe" <marc at publicsectorcredit.org>
> Subject: Re: [okfn-discuss] Indication of case studies: regulatory
>         regimes through transparency
> To: "'Open Knowledge Foundation discussion list'"
>         <okfn-discuss at lists.okfn.org>
>
> Izbela
>

> I think the case of securities disclosure laws enacted in the US following
> the 1929 stock market crash are worth considering.  See, for example,
> http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/workshops/0506/mahoney.pdf
>

> Regards,
>
> Marc

It's also worth noting that much information in the financial markets,
including even the CUSIPs which identify securities in the US, are
proprietary....
Chris

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture